New Requirements for Car Hire overseas

Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.

From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences – which records endorsements and fines – is being computerised.
Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.
To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.
But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip will need to generate a new code while they are abroad.
For those who do not have internet access, a phone number will also be made available.
The RAC said many drivers were unaware of the changes.
“Our research shows that with just under a month to go before the paper counterpart to the photo-card licence disappears, 55% of drivers are not aware of the planned change,” said RAC spokesman Simon Williams.
See BBC news story here